Pathway to CFP CertificationCM
FPSB Ltd. is committed to developing the capability and growing the number of CFPCM professionals in India so the public has increased access to advice from competent and ethical financial planners – especially during these uncertain times. Through our new pathway to CFP certification in India, FPSB Ltd. is pleased to provide a quality learning experience to Indian students and financial advisors to support their journey to CFP certification, and towards becoming part of a community of ~192,000 CFP professionals worldwide committed to working in their clients’ best interest.
FPSB Ltd. has restructured the content of the education requirement for CFP certification in India into three specialist education courses (Investment Planning Specialist ; Retirement and Tax Planning; Risk and Estate Planning ) and a financial planning capstone course. Delivered through FPSB Ltd.’s online learning portal, the new courses consist of textbooks with global and India-specific content, interactive modules and practice questions, and can be taken through self-study or through one of FPSB Ltd.’s Authorized Education Providers.
Registration for the FPSB® Investment Planning Specialist, FPSB® Retirement and Tax Planning Specialist and FPSB® Risk and Estate Planning Specialist courses is open.
In the coming months, FPSB Ltd. will launch its financial planning capstone education courses on its online learning portal. By completing pathway certification requirements, successful candidates can be recognized as an FPSB® Investment Planning Specialist, FPSB® Retirement and Tax Planning Specialist and/or an FPSB® Risk and Estate Planning Specialist. Upon completing all four education courses and related exams, and meeting FPSB Ltd.’s CFP exam and experience requirements, individuals can be recognized as a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERcm professional in India.
Step 1. Register with FPSB Ltd. and Purchase Course Material
We have four education tracks leading to the CFP certification in India and have already rolled the three Specialist courses in sequence throughout 2020. Students who are at least age 18 and have completed HSC/12th (Std XII/HSC) may register for the Investment Planning Specialist or Retirement and Tax Specialist or Risk and Estate Planning Specialist course at present. It may be noted that minimum graduate education qualification is required at the time of applying for CFP certification. Come back soon as the CFP Capstone course will be available shortly.
Step 2. Complete the Education Course Through One of Three Modes
- Are you somebody who likes to study independently, at your own pace? If so, you might want to consider the Self-Paced Education Mode. For this mode, after you register with FPSB Ltd. and access your educational materials – including textbook content, PowerPoint outlines, quizzes and practice tests – via FPSB Ltd.’s online learning portal, you can study for your certification exam on your own schedule. Self Paced students will be required to pass module exams prior to taking the specialist exams. If students do not pass with 70% or higher after 2 attempts, they will have to move to Instructor-Led Education Mode to complete their education and only then can they sit for the Specialist exam.
- Do you like to have an instructor lead you through the curriculum, and ensure you’ve mastered the content? If so, take the Instructor-Led Education Mode. For this mode, after you register with FPSB Ltd. and purchase the FPSB Ltd. online learning materials, you will enroll with an FPSB Ltd. Authorized Education Provider (in-person and/or online courses available), and complete your coursework in ~8-12 weeks (depending on course content and frequency).
- Do you have professional experience and/or qualifications or certifications that could allow you to bypass the required education component for one of the specialist courses? If so, see if you’re eligible for the Recognition of Prior Learning Mode. For this mode, you may apply to FPSB Ltd. for education exemption based on your professional qualifications and/or previous certifications.
Step 3. Pass the Specialist Course Exam
FPSB Ltd. will have a total of four certification exams in India, leading to CFP certification in India. Exam registration is open in myFPSBLearning for students who have completed the FPSB® Investment Planning Specialist and/or FPSB® Retirement and Tax Planning Specialist and/or FPSB® Risk and Estate Planning Specialist courses.
Please note, to preserve the integrity of our exam FPSB must use a secure lock down browser. In order to use this browser windows is the only compatible operating system and iOS (Macbooks) will not be allowed. The secure browser does not allow the student to navigate to other tabs, therefore Microsoft Excel / open office will not be allowed. Please refer to the exam webpage, exam procedures and exam prep course work for more information.
Step 4. Meet the FPSB Ltd Ethics Requirement
To obtain certification, candidates complete FPSB Ltd.’s ethics course, and agree to uphold and abide by the FPSB Ltd. Code of Ethics and Professional Responsibility, which sets forth requirements for ethical behavior and professional judgment. Once the candidate has completed this ethics course for any one of the specialist track certifications, he or she will not need to complete the course for additional track certifications on the pathway to CFP certification.
Step 5. Get Certified by FPSB Ltd.
By completing the steps above, and applying for FPSB Ltd. certification, successful candidates can be recognized by employers, clients and the public as an FPSB® Investment Planning Specialist, FPSB® Retirement and Tax Planning Specialist or FPSB® Risk and Estate Planning Specialist.
Individuals in India can be recognized as a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER professional upon:
- Completing all specialist education courses and related exams
- Meeting FPSB Ltd.’s ethics requirement
- Meeting FPSB Ltd.’s experience requirement
- Passing the Integrated Financial Planning Exam
- Paying an annual certification fee
Step 6. Stay Certified
Each of FPSB Ltd.’s certifications has a continuing professional development (CPD) requirement, which is five hours of CPD per year for each of the specialist certifications or 15 hours per year for the CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER certification. In addition to offering our own CPD programs, FPSB Ltd. recognizes the programs being offered by various CPD providers in India.
Thank you for your commitment to professionalism, and to providing advice competently and ethically, in your clients’ interests. We’re glad you’ve decided to come on the journey to CFP certification, and we look forward to welcoming you to our growing global community of 2,000+ CFP professionals in India, and ~192,000 CFP professionals in 27 countries and territories worldwide.